Echoes of Eternal Power (영원한 능력의 메아리)


(Exodus 3:1-15,  Romans 12:9-21)

8/30/26 Wellfleet UMC


 

Alan Beals, Tylor(grandson), and the Han family

< Power of instrument>

Dear beloved sisters and brothers in Christ, what is your favorite musical instrument? Yesterday, downtown was buzzing with music during the 2026 PorchFest. What kind of instrument touches your heart the most? Last Wednesday, when three young girls and I visited Alan Beals’ home, we learned that his wife, Sandy, played the piano until she passed away three years ago. Since then, no one had played that piano. But one of my daughters—who is a lot like Sandy and plays piano entirely by ear—sat down and played that very piano. Many of us were brought to tears, feeling both the presence of the Holy Spirit and of Sandy filling the room. An instrument on its own has no power to make a single sound. But when an instrument meets a player, it makes beautiful music!

When I looked at all the pictures and heard about everything Alan Beals has done for our country through the National League of Cities, I was completely amazed. He is still giving wise advice to others today! (I was already blown away that he is 93 years old, and even more impressed when he walked down the driveway so energetically just to greet us!) But what surprised and touched me even more was Alan’s deep humility and how he gave all the glory to God. He said:

"Ever since I went to college, God opened every single door to bring me where I am today.” I could hear ”I didn't do it—God did." That is the common thread shared by so many who are used by God.

(A Poem of Testimony: Teachers and Disciples Reunited After 25 Years)

This past summer, after 25 years, I reconnected with the principals and head teachers who helped start and support our high school Christian club, as well as a former colleague who now runs a company and works with international organizations. Each of them is doing their absolute best to share Jesus wherever they are. Yet, after sharing their testimonies, every single one of them said the exact same thing: "God did it." When we offer ourselves to God as His instruments and surrender to His hands, God plays the music. And we get to see Him at work far beyond our expectations! 

                                                          

Alan’s mother drew this picture. We cannot see the wind, but we can see the curtain gently moving. We cannot hear the sound of the ocean waves from a painting, but we can feel the breeze through the open window and hear the echo of the waves inside a seashell.

Our Great Musician wants to play His song, and He is looking for His instruments. Today, through the story of Moses’ calling and our own stories, let us consider what kind of instruments we are, and what song He wants to play through our Wellfleet UMC orchestra. Just as God picked up Moses as a humble staff in the desert, He picks up our lives as instruments to play His song of deliverance and hope.


< God’s Performance: The Story of Moses >

Sometimes it feels like God isn’t playing His music, and like He’s not even listening to our pain. For the Israelites, that pain lasted for more than 80 long years. Then one day, God came down in a burning bush and called out to Moses. Moses saw this bush on fire that wasn't burning up, and he walked closer to take a look. But before God revealed Himself, He told Moses to take off his sandals—asking us to take off our old, worn-out habits before a holy God. Then He said:

"I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." God made His heart clear using seven strong action words: "I have seen the misery of my people. I have heard them crying out. I care about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them and bring them up into a good land. The cry of Israel has reached me, and I have seen how they are hurt."

Sometimes we feel like God has left us all alone. But God says plainly: I see you, I hear you, I care about you, and I am coming down to save you. And do you know how the very next line goes?

"So now, I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people out of Egypt!" Did you catch that? God just said He was coming down to save them, but then out of nowhere, He turns to Moses and says: "So now, I’m sending YOU!" Naturally, Moses freaks out a little and asks, "Who am I?"

What Moses was really saying was: "Lord, You just said YOU were coming down! Why send ME? What can I do? Forty years ago, I lost my temper and killed a man trying to save my people. I tried to hide it, got caught, and ran away in shame. I’m just a lonely stranger with no home. After forty years of talking to sheep instead of people, I can barely talk! Me going to Egypt for You? That makes no sense!"

How did God answer? "I will be with you." God was saying: "You don't have to do the heavy lifting—I will. Just yield to Me, and let Me play the music through you." Still unsure, Moses asked, "If they ask for Your name, what do I say?" Moses still didn't fully get who God was. So the Lord said: "I AM WHO I AM." God was telling him: "I am not like the fake idols of Egypt. I have no beginning and no end. I am the God of your past, and I am becoming YOUR God today."

This brings me so much comfort. Our loving God knows our pain, and He looks for people to help bring healing. He doesn't ask us to fix everything on our own. Instead, He wants to pick us up like instruments and play His song through us. All we need to do is stay clean, ready, and close to the Musician. And when the song is finished, we will all say together: "God did it!" In Romans 12, we see this love in action. As 1 John 4:12 says: "No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us." We can't see the wind, but we see the curtain move. We can't see God with our eyes, but when we love each other, everyone can feel His presence right here with us. Just as God picked up Moses and called him to be His instrument despite his fears, He picked up my life in the midst of my own inadequacy and pain.


< God’s Performance: Joyce’s Story >

As I’ve shared over the past few weeks, my entire faith journey began in a place of pain. But through God rescuing me out of that pain, I experienced His deep love, which brought me to where I am today. The painful relationship with my earthly father became my biggest motivation to seek a heavenly Father. Meeting God personally completely changed my life's purpose and renewed my joy. And as my source of joy shifted, a burning passion grew inside me to share the Gospel with people who were hurting without knowing that joy.

Later on, surviving those exhausting days of raising five young children felt painful at times, but it was really a season of learning what true love looks like. And after pastoring one church, then two, and praying for struggling churches without pastors, my husband and I ended up serving four churches together—experiencing a depth of love that the world simply cannot offer. Pain and love have always been deeply connected in my life. And that is true for God, too.

God felt deep pain watching His creation wander away into unholy lives. In His infinite love, He made Himself vulnerable for the sake of those He loved. God’s Son came down to earth to rescue us from our suffering, enduring the agony of the cross. But He conquered that pain through the glory of the Resurrection and gave us the Holy Spirit! Now, the Spirit groans on our behalf when we don't know how to pray, dwelling right inside our pain with comforting love.

When I first started lead pastoring last year, a sudden wave of panic hit me out of nowhere:

"What if I ruin this church?!" Coming from a background as a church planter's daughter, I grew up pouring my heart and soul into filling the pews. As the oldest child, I always felt responsible for making everything succeed for the Kingdom of God. Seeing me tremble with anxiety, my mentor pastor lovingly told me: "Joyce, I know you have a lot of talents... but you definitely don't have enough talent to ruin God's work!"

That hit me like a ton of bricks! Around that time, I read A.W. Tozer’s The Knowledge of the Holy, which completely shifted my perspective. I realized I had been trying to measure the infinite ocean of God’s nature with a tiny teaspoon! Tozer wrote that it’s a huge delusion to think God needs our help—He is all-powerful and needs nothing from us. What He truly desires is fellowship with us. Our job is simply to keep ourselves clean and let Him work through us. In that moment, the crushing weight of "growing the church" completely vanished. My purpose in life and ministry shifted from aiming for numerical growth to simply knowing the God of love and never missing an opportunity to love the people He loves.

All the Omnipotent God desires from me is to abide in fellowship with Him. When I do, He picks me up as His instrument to feel the pain of those who are hurting, and together, we play His song of love. And now, God is picking up our church—Wellfleet UMC—as His collective instrument to play that exact song of love in this very community.

                                                    

After praying for our community with Melisa 


< God’s Performance: Wellfleet’s Story>

Over the past month, we’ve been getting to know who God is, who I am as your new pastor, and who our Wellfleet UMC community is. So we keep asking God in prayer: Lord, who do You want us to be? What do You want to do through us? I prayed for God to show us the people in our community who are hurting and brokenhearted. And I realized that our church is already opening its doors every single day for local AA groups—meeting three times a week and hosting other support groups daily. Thank You, Lord, for growing us into a church that does not turn a blind eye to people's pain! I am also so thankful for Melisa, whose deep love for those who are struggling in mind, body, and spirit brought a 4, 5-day-a-week fitness program right here to our church. May everyone who steps into our building and uses our parking lot experience the love of a God who hears their cries!

Most of all, right now, God wants us to stand alongside Samantha in her deep pain through our prayers, cards, and visits. I still remember it so clearly: just two weeks ago, when I invited anyone who wanted to step into a new calling to come forward, Samantha walked up, and we all laid hands on her and blessed her. Just four days later, she was in a severe motorcycle accident. She broke four ribs and suffered a collapsed lung, making every single breath painful. Both of her wrists were broken, her pelvis was fractured, her face and nose were injured, and her knees needed stitches. Hearing about the sheer reality of her pain felt like watching a live broadcast of Jesus suffering on the cross. Praying in deep anguish alongside the Holy Spirit, I asked: "Lord, Samantha took off her shoes to follow Your calling, and now she is stuck in a position where she can't do anything!" And right then, the Lord spoke to my heart: "So now, I am sending YOU to her!"

When I shared her story last week, so many of you reached out with words of love and encouragement, which meant the world to her. If listening to this touches your heart and you'd like to reach out to Samantha—or serve our members who are homebound or in the hospital—please come see me after the service today. We are putting together an orchestra of volunteers to send her a short Bible verse once a day, write cards, and make visits to share God’s music with her.

This is what Paul means in Romans 12 when he says: "Be devoted to one another in love... Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." When we do this for Samantha and for those who are homebound, we fulfill the Law of Christ. My prayer is that each of us will become a holy instrument in the hands of the Great Musician, letting His song ring out through our lives. We aren't the sun generating our own light; we are like the moon, reflecting His light into the dark. Let's not push our own voice, but echo God's voice as faithful messengers.

And at the end of the day, we will all look back and say together: "God did it!" Amen.


영원한 능력의 메아리

본문: 출애굽기 3:1–15, 로마서 12:9–21

일시: 2026년 8월 30일 | 웰플릿 감리교회 (Wellfleet UMC)


<악기의 능력>

사랑하는 그리스도 안의 자매 형제 여러분, 여러분이 가장 좋아하시는 악기는 무엇인가요?

어제 시내에서는 ‘2026 포치페스트(PorchFest)’ 음악 축제로 마을 전체가 음악 소리로 가득했습니다. 여러분의 마음을 가장 울리는 악기는 무엇인가요?

지난주 수요일, 세 명의 어린 소녀들과 함께 앨런 빌스(Alan Beals) 성도님의 댁을 방문했을 때, 우리는 그의 아내 샌디(Sandy)가 3년 전 세상을 떠날 때까지 피아노를 쳤다는 이야기를 들었습니다. 아내가 떠난 후로 그 피아노를 연주한 사람은 아무도 없었습니다. 그런데 샌디와 참 많이 닮았고 악보 없이 청음으로만 피아노를 치는 제 딸아이 중 하나가 그 피아노 앞에 앉아 연주하기 시작했습니다. 그 순간 그 공간에 성령님의 임재와 샌디의 온기가 가득 차오르는 것을 느끼며 우리 중 많은 이들이 눈물을 흘렸습니다.

악기 그 자체는 단 하나의 소리도 낼 수 있는 힘이 없습니다. 하지만 악기가 연주자를 만날 때, 비로소 아름다운 음악이 탄생합니다!

앨런 빌스 성도님이 전미도시연합(National League of Cities)을 통해 미국을 위해 해 온 그 모든 일과 사진들을 보며 저는 깊은 감동을 받았습니다. 그는 93세라는 연세에도 불구하고 여전히 사람들에게 지혜로운 조언을 나누어 주고 계셨습니다. (93세이신 것도 놀라웠지만, 우리를 맞이하러 진입로까지 활기차게 걸어 나오시는 모습을 보고 더 큰 감동을 받았습니다!)

하지만 저를 더욱 놀라게 하고 마음을 울린 것은 앨런의 깊은 겸손과, 모든 영광을 하나님께 돌리는 그의 태도였습니다. 그는 이렇게 말했습니다.

"대학에 간 이후로, 하나님께서는 오늘날 제가 있기까지 모든 문을 직접 열어주셨습니다."

그의 고백 속에서 저는 *"내가 한 것이 아니라 하나님이 하셨다"*라는 소리를 들을 수 있었습니다. 그것이 바로 하나님께 쓰임받는 모든 이들이 공유하는 공통된 고백입니다.

(각 선생님들의 간증을 담은 시)


이번 여름, 25년 만에 우리 고등학교 기독교 동아리를 처음 시작하고 지원해 주셨던 교장 선생님과 교사분들, 그리고 지금은 회사를 운영하며 국제기구와 협력하고 있는 옛 동료를 다시 만났습니다. 그들 각자는 자신이 서 있는 자리에서 예수님을 전하기 위해 최선을 다하고 있었습니다. 그런데 자신의 간증을 나눈 후, 그들 모두가 약속이라도 한 듯 똑같이 말했습니다.

"하나님이 하셨습니다."

우리가 스스로를 하나님의 악기로 드리고 그분의 손에 맡길 때, 하나님께서 친히 음악을 연주하십니다. 그리고 우리는 우리의 기대를 뛰어넘어 일하시는 하나님을 보게 됩니다!

앨런의 어머니께서 그리신 이 그림을 보십시오. 우리는 바람을 눈으로 볼 수 없지만, 커튼이 살랑이는 것을 보며 바람을 느낍니다. 그림 속 바다의 파도 소리를 직접 들을 수는 없지만, 열린 창문으로 불어오는 산들바람을 느끼고 소라껍데기 속에서 울리는 파도 소리의 메아리를 듣습니다.

우리의 위대한 연주자이신 하나님께서는 그분의 노래를 연주하시기를 원하시며, 지금도 그분의 악기를 찾고 계십니다. 오늘 모세의 부르심 이야기와 우리 자신의 이야기를 통해, 우리는 과연 어떤 악기이며, 하나님께서 우리 웰플릿 교회 오케스트라를 통해 어떤 노래를 연주하기 원하시는지 함께 나누고자 합니다. 하나님께서 광야의 보잘것없는 지팡이 같은 모세를 사용하셨듯이, 그분은 구원과 소망의 노래를 연주하기 위해 우리 삶을 악기로 사용하십니다.

<하나님의 연주: 모세의 이야기>

때로는 하나님께서 음악을 연주하지 않으시는 것 같고, 우리의 고통에 귀를 기울이지 않으시는 것처럼 느껴질 때가 있습니다. 이스라엘 백성들에게 그 고통은 80년이 넘는 긴 세월 동안 지속되었습니다.

그러던 어느 날, 하나님께서는 떨기나무 불꽃 가운데 내려오셔서 모세를 부르셨습니다. 모세는 불이 붙었으나 타버리지 않는 떨기나무를 보고 가까이 다가가 보았습니다. 하지만 하나님께서는 당신을 드러내시기 전에 모세에게 신발을 벗으라고 말씀하셨습니다. 거룩하신 하나님 앞에 서기 전, 우리의 오래되고 낡은 습관들을 벗어버리라고 요구하신 것입니다. 그리고 말씀하셨습니다.

"나는 네 조상의 하나님이니 아브라함의 하나님, 이삭의 하나님, 야곱의 하나님이니라."

하나님께서는 7가지 강렬한 행동의 단어로 당신의 마음을 분명히 나타내셨습니다.

"내가 내 백성의 고통을 보았고, 그들의 부르짖음을 들었고, 그 근심을 알고, 그들을 구원하여 아름다운 땅으로 인도하여 올려 하노라. 이스라엘 자손의 부르짖음이 내게 달하였고, 그들이 괴로워하는 것을 내가 보았으니"

때로 우리는 하나님께서 우리를 홀로 버려두셨다고 느낍니다. 하지만 하나님은 분명히 말씀하십니다. '내가 너를 보고 있고, 듣고 있고, 너를 마음 깊이 안타까워하며, 너를 구원하기 위해 내려간다.'

그런데 그 바로 다음 구절이 어떻게 이어지는지 아십니까?

"이제 내가 너를 파라오에게 보내어 너로 내 백성을 이집트에서 인도하여 내게 하리라!"

이 말씀이 들리십니까? 하나님께서는 방금 당신께서 직접 내려가서 구원하시겠다고 해놓고는, 느닷없이 모세를 향해 *"그러니 이제 내가 '너'를 보낸다!"*라고 말씀하시는 것입니다.

당연히 모세는 당황해서 묻습니다. "내가 누구이기에 가리이까?"

모세가 진짜 하고 싶었던 말은 이것이었습니다. "주님, 방금 주님이 직접 내려오시겠다고 하셨잖아요! 그런데 왜 저를 보내시나요? 제가 뭘 할 수 있겠습니까? 40년 전, 저는 제 백성을 구하려다 혈기를 못 이겨 사람을 죽였습니다. 숨기려다 들통나서 수치심 속에 도망쳤습니다. 저는 집도 없는 외로운 이방인일 뿐입니다. 사람 대신 양들과 대화하며 40년을 보낸 탓에 입도 둔해졌습니다! 제가 주님을 위해 이집트로 간다는 게 말이 됩니까?"

하나님께서는 어떻게 대답하셨습니까?

"내가 반드시 너와 함께 있으리라."

하나님께서는 이렇게 말씀하신 것입니다. "네가 힘든 일을 다 할 필요가 없다. 내가 할 것이다. 그저 나에게 너 자신을 내어주고, 내가 너를 통해 음악을 연주하게 하라."

여전히 확신이 없던 모세가 물었습니다. "그들이 제게 주님의 이름을 물으면 뭐라고 답해야 합니까?" 모세는 여전히 하나님이 어떤 분이신지 온전히 알지 못했습니다. 그러자 주님께서 말씀하셨습니다.

"나는 스스로 있는 자니라 (I AM WHO I AM)."

하나님은 그에게 말씀하셨습니다. "나는 이집트의 가짜 우상들과 다르다. 나는 시작도 없고 끝도 없다. 나는 너의 과거의 하나님이며, 오늘 바로 '너의 하나님'이 되어 가고 있느니라."

이 사실은 제게 너무나 큰 위로가 됩니다. 사랑의 하나님은 우리의 고통을 아시고, 치유를 가져다줄 사람들을 찾으십니다. 하나님은 우리에게 스스로 모든 것을 해결하라고 요구하지 않으십니다. 대신 우리를 악기처럼 집어드시고 우리를 통해 그분의 노래를 연주하기를 원하십니다. 우리가 해야 할 일은 그저 거룩하게 준비되어 연주자 곁에 가까이 머무는 것뿐입니다. 그리고 연주가 끝났을 때, 우리 모두는 함께 이렇게 고백할 것입니다. "하나님이 하셨습니다!"

로마서 12장에서 우리는 행동하는 이 사랑을 봅니다. 요한일서 4장 12절이 말하듯, "어느 때나 하나님을 본 사람이 없으되 만일 우리가 서로 사랑하면 하나님이 우리 안에 거하시느니라" 했습니다. 바람은 보이지 않지만 커튼이 움직이는 것을 봅니다. 하나님을 눈으로 볼 수는 없지만, 우리가 서로 사랑할 때 모든 이가 바로 이곳에 계신 그분의 임재를 느끼게 됩니다.

하나님께서 두려움에 떨던 모세를 집어드셔서 그분의 악기로 부르셨듯이, 부족함과 통증 한가운데 있던 제 삶 역시 그분께서 부르셨습니다. 

<하나님의 연주: 영은의 이야기>

지난 몇 주 동안 나눈 것처럼, 저의 모든 신앙 여정은 '고통'에서부터 시작되었습니다. 하지만 하나님께서 그 고통 가운데서 저를 건져내어 주심을 통해 그분의 깊은 사랑을 경험했고, 그것이 저를 오늘 이 자리에 있게 했습니다.

지상에서의 아버지와의 아픈 관계는 제가 하늘 아버지를 찾게 된 가장 큰 동기가 되었습니다. 하나님 아버지를 인격적으로 만나면서 제 삶의 목적이 완전히 달라졌고 기쁨이 새로워졌습니다. 기쁨의 근원이 바뀌자, 그 기쁨을 모른 채 고통받는 사람들을 향해 복음을 전하고자 하는 불타는 열정이 제 안에 생겨났습니다.

훗날 어린 다섯 자녀를 키우며 치열하게 버텨내야 했던 시간들도 때로는 힘들었지만, 그것은 진정한 사랑이 무엇인지를 배우는 귀한 계절이었습니다. 한 교회, 두 교회를 섬기고, 목회자가 없어 힘들어하는 교회들을 위해 기도하다가, 남편과 함께 네 곳의 교회를 섬기게 되면서 세상이 줄 수 없는 깊은 사랑을 경험하게 되었습니다. 이처럼 고통과 사랑은 제 삶에 있어 항상 강하게 연결되어 있었습니다. 그리고 그것은 하나님께도 마찬가지입니다.

하나님께서는 당신의 피조물들이 거룩하지 못한 삶으로 방황하는 것을 보시며 깊은 통증을 느끼셨습니다. 그 무한한 사랑 때문에, 하나님은 사랑하는 대상들을 위해 스스로를 가장 낮고 취약한(vulnerable) 상태로 만드셨습니다. 하나님의 아들이 우리의 고통에서 우리를 구원하시기 위해 이 땅에 내려오셨고, 십자가의 처절한 고통을 몸소 참아내셨습니다. 하지만 부활의 영광으로 그 고통을 승리로 바꾸셨고, 우리에게 성령님을 선물로 주셨습니다! 이제 성령님께서는 우리가 어떻게 기도해야 할지 모를 때 말할 수 없는 탄식으로 대신 기도하시며, 우리 고통의 한가운데 거하셔서 위로의 사랑을 전해 주십니다.

제가 작년에 담임 목회를 시작한 지 얼마 안 되었을 때, 갑자기 두려움이 밀려왔습니다.

"내가 담임을 맡아서 이 교회가 망하면 어쩌지?!"

개척교회 목회자의 딸로 자란 저는 어릴 때부터 교회의 부흥을 위해, 예배당 채우기에 혼신의 힘을 다하며 자랐습니다. 책임감 있는 첫째 딸로서 저는 항상 하나님의 나라에 어떻게든 도움이 되어야 한다는 중압감을 안고 살았습니다.

두려움에 떨고 있던 저에게 멘토 목사님께서 따뜻하게 말씀해 주셨습니다.

"영은아, 너에게 다양한 달란트가 많은 건 알지만... 하나님의 일을 망칠 정도의 능력은 너한테 없단다!"

정말 머리를 한 대 맞은 듯한 충격이었습니다!

그 무렵 A.W. 토저의 『하나님을 알라(The Knowledge of the Holy)』라는 책을 읽으면서 저의 관점이 완전히 바뀌었습니다. 제가 태평양 같은 하나님의 무한하신 속성을 고작 작은 티스푼 하나로 재어 보려 했음을 깨달았습니다! 토저는 '하나님을 위해 우리가 무언가 도움을 드려야 한다고 생각하는 것은 엄청난 착각'이라고 말합니다. 전지전능하신 하나님은 우리의 도움이 전혀 필요 없는 분이십니다. 그분이 참으로 원하시는 것은 오직 우리와 교제하는 것입니다. 우리가 할 일은 그저 자신을 거룩하게 지키며 하나님께서 일하시도록 맡겨 드리는 것입니다.

그 순간, '교회를 부흥시켜야 한다'는 짓눌리는 중압감이 거짓말처럼 사라졌습니다. 제 삶과 목회의 목적은 '숫자의 부흥'이 아니라, *'사랑의 하나님을 알고, 하나님이 사랑하시는 사람들을 사랑하되 그 기회를 놓치지 않는 것'*으로 바뀌었습니다.

전능하신 하나님께서 제게 원하시는 것은 오직 그분과 깊이 교제하는 것입니다. 제가 주 안에 거할 때, 그분은 저를 악기로 사용하셔서 고통받는 이들의 아픔을 함께 느끼게 하시고, 사랑의 노래를 함께 연주하게 하십니다. 그리고 이제 하나님께서는 우리 공동체—웰플릿 교회—를 하나의 오케스트라 악기로 사용하셔서, 바로 이 지역사회 안에서 그 사랑의 노래를 연주하고자 하십니다.

<하나님의 연주: 웰플릿의 이야기>

지난 한 달 동안 우리는 하나님이 누구신지, 새 목회자인 제가 누구인지, 그리고 우리 웰플릿 감리교회가 어떤 공동체인지 알아가고 있습니다. 그래서 우리는 계속해서 하나님께 기도하며 묻고 있습니다. '주님, 우리는 누구여야 합니까? 우리를 통해 무엇을 하시기를 원하십니까?'

저는 하나님께 우리 마을에서 아파하고 마음이 찢겨진 이들을 보여 달라고 기도했습니다. 그리고 깨달았습니다. 우리 교회가 이미 이 지역의 AA(단주 모임) 회원들을 위해 매일 문을 열어두고 있으며, 일주일에 세 번씩 모임을 갖고 다른 회복 모임들에게 매일 교회를 내어주고 있다는 사실을요. 사람들의 고통을 외면하지 않는 교회로 우리를 자라게 해 주신 주님께 감사를 드립니다!

또한 마음과 몸과 영혼이 아픈 이들을 향한 깊은 사랑으로, 주 4~5일 운동 프로그램을 우리 교회에 가져온 멜리사(Melisa) 성도님에게도 진심으로 감사드립니다. 우리 교회 건물에 들어오고 주차장을 이용하는 모든 이들이, 그들의 부르짖음을 들으시는 사랑의 하나님을 경험할 수 있기를 소망합니다!

무엇보다 지금 하나님께서는 우리가 기도와 카드, 방문을 통해 극심한 고통 중에 있는 사만다(Samantha)의 곁에 함께 서 있기를 원하십니다. 저는 아직도 생생하게 기억합니다. 불과 2주 전, 새로운 소명을 따라 살고자 하는 분들을 앞으로 초청했을 때, 사만다가 나왔고 우리 모두는 그녀에게 손을 얹고 축복했습니다.

그리고 딱 4일 뒤, 그녀는 심각한 오토바이 사고를 당했습니다. 갈비뼈 4개가 부러지고 폐가 기형(collapsed)이 되어 숨을 쉴 때마다 극심한 통증을 느낍니다. 두 손목이 부러지고 골반이 쇄골되었으며, 얼굴과 코를 다치고 무릎을 꿰맸습니다. 그녀가 겪는 그 생생한 고통의 소식을 들으며, 저는 마치 예수님께서 십자가에서 고통당하시는 모습을 생중계로 보는 듯한 아픔을 느꼈습니다.

성령님의 말할 수 없는 탄식 속에 함께 기도하며 주님께 물었습니다. "주님, 사만다는 주의 소명을 따라 살겠다고 신발까지 벗고 나아왔는데, 이제는 아무것도 할 수 없는 처지가 되었습니다!"

그때 주님께서 제 마음에 말씀하셨습니다.

"그러니 이제, 내가 '너'를 그녀에게 보낸다!"

지난주에 사만다의 소식을 전했을 때, 정말 많은 분들이 사랑과 격려의 말을 전해 주셨고 그것은 그녀에게 커다란 힘이 되었습니다. 움직이기조차 힘든 상황 속에서도 사만다는 마치 승리자처럼 웃으며 견뎌내고 있습니다! 숨을 쉴 때마다 아프지만 열심히 호흡 운동을 하며 매 순간 하나님과 동행하고 있습니다.

오늘 이 말씀을 듣고 마음이 움직이시는 분들, 사만다를 위해, 혹은 병원에 계시거나 집 밖으로 나오지 못하시는(homebound) 교우들을 섬기는 사역에 관심이 있으신 분들은 예배 후에 저를 찾아와 주시기 바랍니다. 하루에 짧은 말씀 하나를 나누고, 카드를 보내며, 방문을 통해 하나님의 연주를 함께해 나갈 '오케스트라 단원'을 모집합니다.

이것이 바로 바울이 로마서 12장에서 말한 바입니다. "서로 우애하고 존경하기를 먼저 하며... 즐거워하는 자들과 함께 즐거워하고 우는 자들과 함께 울라." 우리가 사만다와 집에 계신 성도님들을 향해 이렇게 행할 때, 우리는 그리스도의 법을 성취하게 됩니다.

저의 기도는 우리 한 사람 한 사람이 위대한 연주자이신 하나님의 거룩한 악기가 되어, 그분의 노래가 우리 삶을 통해 울려 퍼지게 되는 것입니다. 우리는 스스로 빛을 내는 태양이 아니라, 밤하늘에 햇빛을 반사하여 빛을 비추는 달과 같은 존재입니다. 내 소리를 내세우기보다, 하나님의 목소리를 메아리쳐 전하는 신실한 메신저가 됩시다.

그리고 마지막 날, 우리 모두는 지나온 날을 돌아보며 다 함께 이렇게 고백할 것입니다.

"하나님이 하셨습니다!" 아멘.




Comments

  1. 한 편의 서사시를 읽고 있습니다
    잔잔한 멜로디에 붙인 긴 가사를 읽습니다
    아름다움이 묻어나고
    나도 그 선율에 함께 하고 싶은 강렬함이 급하고 강한 바람처럼 일기 보나 살랑거리는 산들바람처럼 일어납니다
    그러나
    그 강렬함은 스쳐 지나가는 힘이 아닌 끝까지 함께 하려는 강한 의지로 드러납니다
    감사합니다
    주일 말씀이 하나님의 세레나데로 들립니다

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hesed in His Light -I Love You Because I Love You-

It’s a Wonderful Life in Patten!

2025 영성 훈련 아카데미 (2025 Spiritual Formation Academy)