Acts 29 Marathon (사도행전 29장 마라톤)
Genesis 26:18, 27–33;
Acts 1:12–16, 21–26
Date: October 4,
2026 | Location: Wellfleet UMC
Preparing
for the Race
Dear
sisters and brothers in Christ here in Wellfleet—whether you are worshiping
with us in person or online—welcome to God's presence! Do you like running? Or
did you used to run? Recently, at Victor's suggestion, I started running
seriously to prepare for a half marathon. Although Victor and I had been
jogging two or three miles a few days a week for several years, we had never
considered running a half marathon. But some friends and church members
encouraged us so strongly that we decided to give it a try. Something amazing
happened: all the little muscles I had developed through different sports came
together for this one challenge!
When
I first started training, I had my doubts. My children begged me not to do
it—they were afraid I would collapse during the race! But I kept trying: three
miles, four miles, seven miles, eight miles... and finally, last week, I ran 13
miles! Even though I couldn’t walk properly for a few days due to severe
chafing, I made it. Lord willing, I hope to preach to you after completing my
official first half marathon next Saturday without any side effects!
During
my training, I learned three important lessons. I feel a bit shy sharing these
in front of Dwight Esty, who taught physical education for 30 years and coached
track! But let me share what I learned: Loosen up! Breathe! Do it every day!
First,
loosen up. My daughter Grace, who runs cross-country, pointed out: "Mom,
you're putting too much tension in your calves! That's why you're running with
the wrong form." She was right! When I started running five or six
miles, my thighs began to hurt. I had learned to relax my calves, but I was
still holding tension in my body. Little by little, I learned to relax my legs,
arms, and elbows. Finally, I found my rhythm. I realized I didn't have to run
by relying only on my raw strength; I could let my whole body move together in
harmony.
Second,
breathe. I learned that breathing correctly is vital. If I breathe only
through my mouth, my throat gets sore. If I hold my breath too long, I get
cramps. You simply cannot keep running without breathing well.
Third,
do it every day. You cannot prepare for a half marathon by running only
once or twice a week. You have to practice regularly. Even when you don't feel
like running, you have to keep showing up. I believe these three lessons can
guide us as we begin our spiritual journey through the Book of Acts.
The
Journey of Acts
We
are beginning a journey I call the Acts 29 Marathon!
The
Book of Acts has 28 chapters, but it ends abruptly without telling us how the
story concludes. Why? Because the story of the Holy Spirit and the mission of
the church is still continuing today with the resurrected Jesus! We are called
to write the next chapter: Acts 29, Acts 30, or even Acts 2026! Our journey as
a church is like a marathon. You might wonder, "How can we continue the
story of Acts?" Let us begin with our three simple lessons:
1.
Loosen Up!
Right
after Jesus' ascension, the disciples were lost and uncertain. But Jesus
instructed them to wait for the promise of the Father and receive the power of
the Holy Spirit. They had to learn that this mission was not about relying on
human strength, but about trusting God's power.
For
10 days, 120 people—including women, which was a revolutionary inclusion in
biblical counting at that time—gathered in Mark’s mother’s upper room. They
loosened up and surrendered their self-reliance. When they loosened their grip,
the Holy Spirit filled them. Christianity is not about giving up in defeat, but
about emptying ourselves so that we may be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Receiving the Holy Spirit gives us a deep, unshakable assurance.
2.
Breathe in the Holy Spirit!
Throughout
Acts, we see Peter and Paul breathing with the Holy Spirit. We see the
Jerusalem church gathering, the Antioch church scattering to preach, and the
Ephesian church studying diligently. We learn how to breathe with the Holy
Spirit whether standing before governors, enduring storms, or ministering among
neighbors.
Let
us practice "breath prayer": we breathe out our anxiety, worries, and
fears, and we breathe in God's peace, faith, hope, and joy. We move from being worriers
to becoming prayer warriors!
- When our children make the
same mistakes over and over and we feel breathless—we breathe in the
Spirit.
- When we hear that a
90-year-old mother broke her hip and we feel overwhelmed—we breathe in the
Spirit.
- When we receive painful news
about family or friends—we breathe in the Spirit.
In
Acts 1, the 120 disciples practiced breathing with the Spirit by studying
Scripture together. Recognizing that Judas's place was vacant, they selected
two candidates, prayed, and asked the Holy Spirit to guide the final choice
through lots. Matthias was chosen (Acts 1:21–26). When we breathe with the Holy
Spirit, He guides our steps one by one.
3.
Practice Every Day (Spiritual Muscle)
Daily
practice is how we build spiritual muscle. Over the 30-year history recorded in
Acts, we see how the early church developed spiritual endurance. Theologians
note that a true church possesses four essential marks: Unity, Holiness,
Catholicity (Universality), and Apostolicity.
The
early church embodied these characteristics, enduring 300 years of Roman
persecution in the catacombs. Ironically, as church historians like Athanasius
observed, when Emperor Constantine legalized Christianity in the 4th century,
the church began to lose its original vitality as it gained worldly power.
Restoring the true essence of the early church is precisely what it means to
write Acts 29 today.
Reclaiming
Our Beersheba
In
Genesis 26, we read about Isaac. His father Abraham had dug wells in the
desert—wells as precious as gold in an arid land. But the Philistines filled
those wells with dirt to stop them up.
Twice,
the Philistines stopped up Abraham's wells. Yet Isaac did not wage war; he
chose peace and moved elsewhere to dig again. Seeing Isaac's peaceful nature
and God's favor upon him, the Philistines eventually came to him asking for a
peace treaty, saying: "We saw clearly that the Lord was with you"
(Genesis 26:28). Isaac showed hospitality and made a covenant of peace. Right
after, Isaac's servants announced: "We’ve found water!"
(Genesis 26:32).
Isaac
reclaimed his father’s legacy and named the place Beersheba (Be'er
Sheva in Hebrew, meaning "Well of the Oath" or "Well of
Seven"). This sacred place became a landmark of faith across generations,
anchored in the biblical phrase: "from Dan to Beersheba."
What
is our Beersheba here in Wellfleet?
Wellfleet
United Methodist Church has a rich spiritual heritage:
- Lorenzo D. Baker, who
supported Jamaican workers, revived the local economy, and helped build
this church.
- Nehemiah Hopkins, who
served as a missionary in China for 50 years, establishing hospitals,
schools, and churches.
- Isaac Rich, a
Wellfleet native who donated $1.7 million to endow Boston University and
its School of Theology.
We
stand in a place blessed with countless "wells" dug by our spiritual
ancestors. But over time, many of those wells have been stopped up. A church
that once sent out missionaries now finds itself in need of renewal. It is time
for us to protect this legacy—not by clinging rigidly to old methods, but by
reopening those stopped-up wells through prayer, the Word, and daily spiritual
discipline. Church historian Jaroslav Pelikan famously wrote:
"Tradition
is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the
living."
Preserving
tradition does not mean repeating routines exactly as they were done a century
ago. True tradition means grasping the core essence of our faith and applying
it dynamically to our culture through the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. The early
church preserved the core essence of the Gospel while adapting to changing
circumstances. As we run this Acts 29 Marathon together, let us hold fast to
the essence of our faith, rely on the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, and experience
the miracle of reopening the wells of revival right here in Wellfleet!
Silent Prayer (Breath Prayer)
Closing
Prayer
Living
Holy Spirit, God, help us to loosen up, surrender our own strength, wait in
prayer, listen to Your Word, and breathe the breath of the Holy Spirit.
When
we feel breathless from health issues, family pain, or tragic news, grant us
the grace of breath prayer so that we may become prayer warriors rather than
worriers.
Day
by day in our lives, build in us the spiritual muscle needed for this Acts 29
marathon. May the legacy promised and shown to our spiritual ancestors become
not a stopped-up well, but a springing fountain of renewal for ourselves, our
families, our church, our town, and this nation. Amen.
사도행전 29장 마라톤
경주를 준비하며
몸의 힘을 빼라! 숨을 쉬어라! 매일 실행하라!
사도행전의 여정
1. 몸의 힘을 빼라! (Loosen Up!)
2. 성령으로 숨을 쉬어라! (Breathe in the Holy Spirit!)
- 아이들이 같은 실수들을 반복하여 숨이 턱 막힐 때 — 우리는 성령을 마십니다.
- 90세 되신 어머니가 고관절이 부러졌다는 소식을 듣고 마음이 무거울 때 — 우리는 성령을 마십니다.
- 가족이나 친구에 대한 아픈 소식을 접할 때 — 우리는 성령을 마십니다.
3. 매일 실행하라 - 영적 근육 (Practice Every Day)
우리의 브엘세바를 다시 파라
- 자메이카 노동자들을 돕고, 지역 경제를 살리며, 이 교회를 세우는 데 기여한 로렌조 D. 베이커 (Lorenzo D. Baker)
- 이 교회의 후원으로 50년 동안 중국 선교사로 섬기며 병원과 학교, 교회를 세운 느헤미야 홉킨스 (Nehemiah Hopkins)
- 웰플릿 출신으로 170만 달러를 기부하여 보스턴 대학교와 그 신학대학원의 기틀을 마련한 아이작 리치 (Isaac Rich)
"전통(Tradition)은 죽은 자들의 살아있는 믿음이고, 전통주의(Traditionalism)는 산 자들의 죽은 믿음이다."
Comments
Post a Comment